30 April 2007

Se acerca (it's getting close)


Three weeks from today we will have breezed through Pamplona (where this medieval pilgrims' bridge is) on our way to Estella where we will start walking. I am not sure whether we will spend the night in Pamplona; we will certainly try to visit there because we didn't get into the cathedral three years ago when we walked through there.

I have started to put things out that will go into my pack. I don't have a lot of time and want to avoid the last-minute running-around preparations that have characterised other departures for the camino/chemin.

Unlike our two trips to France, this time we will have to take sleeping bags. In France, the gîtes (hostels) provide blankets, pillows and pillow cases. In Spain, you get a mattress at the refugios. I now have a lightweight, super-compressable sleeping bag (it would not do on a cold night in the New Hampshire Whites) that I can put at the bottom of my pack.

The trip is getting more real now. I even checked the weather and see that it is raining in both León and Burgos.